LONG BEACH VOCAL JAZZ ACADEMY
Hosted at Cal State Long Beach - Bob Cole Conservatory of Music
Join us on Saturday, August 5, 2023!
This one-day vocal jazz workshop (9 AM – 6 PM) will feature:
- All students perform in a mass choir under the direction of Christine Guter
- All teachers perform in a mass choir under the direction of Matt Falker
- Jazz reading sessions with published music from Anchor Music Publications, independent publishers, and more (Teacher Track only)
- Breakout sessions of your choice with nationally recognized faculty (will rotate faculty from year to year)
- A 5:00 PM final concert open to the public, featuring the Academy Mass Choir, selected soloists, and a special performance by ‘Pacific Standard Time‘ from CSULB
Teacher Track – Pre-registration includes lunch, publisher reading packets, & mass choir music
Student Track – Pre-registration includes lunch & mass choir music
Group rates will be available – teachers or students can attend on their own, or bring your whole choir!
Hosted by Pacific Standard Time (Christine Guter) at the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music.
Get the latest news on the Long Beach Vocal Jazz Academy Facebook page
2022 LONG BEACH ACADEMY SCHEDULE
9:00 AM – Check-In
- Check-in and Academy Welcome (light refreshments provided)
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Morning Sessions & Mass Choir Rehearsals
Morning Breakout Sessions:
- New Music Reading Session (for Teacher Track only)
- The Musician’s Marketplace (Jamond McCoy)
- Jazz Solo Singing Workshop (Kathleen Grace)
- Dealing With Performance Anxiety (Jonny Arenas)
- Basics of Sound 101 (Matt Carruthers)
12:30 – 1:30 PM – Lunch & Teacher Round Table Discussions
1:30 – 4:45 PM – Afternoon Sessions & Mass Choir Rehearsals
Afternoon Breakout Sessions:
- Songwriting 101 (Kathleen Grace)
- Preparing for a College Audition (Jonny Arenas)
- Improvisation Workshop (Jamond McCoy)
- Consult with Matt or Christine (Teachers only)
5:00 – 6:00 PM – Closing Concert!
Open to the public & featuring performances by Selected Soloists, the Academy Mass Choir, and of course, Pacific Standard Time!
“Graduate Seminar” – hang for Teachers and Staff only, immediately following the conclusion of the Academy