The Vocal Jazz Academy is a one-day event open to all that strives to educate and connect vocal jazz educators and students as they prepare for the new school year. Teachers are welcome to attend on their own, send their students - or bring their whole choir with them!
In addition to all-Academy sessions, teachers and students are placed into tracks tailored to their needs.
Teacher Track session offerings include:
Student Track session offerings include:
and many more! Each Academy is customized to fit the needs of the local vocal jazz community.
- To support and equip vocal jazz educators in their continuing educational journey
- To reach out to and educate students in vocal jazz regardless of experience level
- To emphasize a variety of skills in both jazz choir and jazz solo performance
- To emphasize the importance of developing secondary skills like jazz piano, improvisation, working with a rhythm section, music technology, sound engineering, and arranging
- To provide a sound foundation of and appreciation for the traditions of jazz while actively seeking to evolve the music in today’s culture
We strive to create a comfortable learning environment for teachers, singers, players, and sound engineers to learn from vocal jazz professionals - and each other!
Our mission is to assist in strengthening the local and area vocal jazz community, and encourage connection to the larger networks (JEN, ACDA, etc).