SACRAMENTO VOCAL JAZZ ACADEMY
Hosted at Sacramento State University - School of Music
Join us in August 2023!
This one-day vocal jazz workshop (9 AM – 6 PM) will feature:
- All participants take part in the Academy Mass Choir (directed by Gaw Vang Williams & Matt Falker)
- Jazz reading sessions with published music from Anchor Music Publications, independent publishers, and more (Teacher Track only)
- Breakout sessions of your choice with nationally recognized faculty (schedule will be updated with this info soon!)
- A 4:30 PM final concert open to the public, featuring a special performance by Academy Mass Choir and selected soloists
Teacher Track – Pre-registration includes lunch, publisher reading packets, & mass choir music
Student Track – Pre-registration includes lunch & mass choir music
Group rates will be available – teachers or students can attend on their own, or bring your whole choir!
Hosted by Gaw Vang Williams at the Sacramento State University School of Music.
Get the latest news on the Sacramento Vocal Jazz Academy Facebook Page!
2022 SACRAMENTO ACADEMY SCHEDULE
9:00 AM – Check-In
- Check-in and Academy Welcome (light refreshments provided)
9:30 AM – Mass Choir Sectionals
10:30 AM – Morning Breakout Sessions
- Teacher Track: Reading Session (Matt)
- Student Track: Jazz Techniques (Gaw)
11:30 AM – Mass Choir Rehearsal
12:30 PM – Lunch
1:15 PM – Mass Choir Rehearsal
2:00 PM – Afternoon Breakout Sessions
Teacher/Student Breakout Sessions include:
- Improvisation Workshop
- Preparing for College & Auditions
- Solo Singing: A Deeper Dive
3:00 PM – Mass Choir Final Rehearsal & Video Recording
5:00-6:00 PM – CLOSING CONCERT: Final Presentation for Parents & Attendees – open to the public
Featuring performances by Selected Soloists and the Academy Mass Choir
“Graduate Seminar” – hang for Teachers, Staff, and the host group only, immediately following the conclusion of the Academy