KANSAS CITY VOCAL JAZZ ACADEMY
Hosted at Kansas City Kansas Community College
This one-day vocal jazz workshop (9 AM – 6 PM) will feature:
- All participants perform in the Academy Mass Choir
- Jazz reading sessions with published music from Anchor Music Publications, independent publishers, and more (Teacher Track only)
- Breakout sessions of your choice with nationally recognized faculty (schedule will be updated with this info soon!)
- A 5:00 PM final concert open to the public, featuring the Academy Mass Choir, selected soloists, and a special performance by the Summer Jazz Choir from KCKCC
Teacher Track – Pre-registration includes lunch, publisher reading packets, & mass choir music
Student Track – Pre-registration includes lunch & mass choir music
Group rates available – teachers or students can attend on their own, or bring your whole choir!
Hosted by John Stafford at Kansas City Kansas Community College.
Get the latest news on the Kansas City Vocal Jazz Academy Facebook page!
SAMPLE ACADEMY SCHEDULE
9:00 AM – Check-In
- Check-in and Academy Welcome (light refreshments provided)
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Morning Sessions & Mass Choir Rehearsals
Teacher/Student Breakout Sessions may include:
- Jazz Solo Singing Workshop
- Fundamentals of Live Sound
- Rhythm Section 101
- Vocal Technique in Choral and Jazz Settings
- Improvisation Workshop
- Preparing for College & Auditions
- Jazz Theory Fundamentals
- Much more!
12:30 – 1:45 PM – Lunch & Teacher Round Table Discussions
1:45 – 4:45 PM – Afternoon Sessions & Mass Choir Rehearsals
5:00 – 6:00 PM – Closing Concert!
Open to the public & featuring performances by Selected Soloists, Academy Mass Choir, guest performers
“Graduate Seminar” – hang for Teachers and Staff only, immediately following the conclusion of the Academy